One of the main concerns raised by my beta readers on Save the Cake comes idea that nobody knows what Eloisa is really like as a person, even though the story is told from her first-person narrative. Maybe it’s because I’m more used to writing in the first person when I’m talking about myself (heheh), but it’s beginning to make me wonder if I should put Eloisa through a review process to figure out what she really looks like.
(Paul: Don’t forget the muffins. Aren’t muffins the same as cupcakes? Eloisa: No, muffins are heavier. Paul: But they’re sweet, and they’re baked in the same pans! Neri: Jim Gaffigan says that muffins are cake you can eat for breakfast. Eloisa: Can you please let me finish this Random Facts list first?)
|Gong Li, via Pinterest|
6) My friend Hazel tells me that I look like a younger version of Gong Li from certain angles, and I think I can see it from the nose and mouth, and the square jaw (another thing I got from my Pappy). Most of the time, however, I think I look more like Lola Carmen because she has round eyes and wavy hair.
7) Two reasons why I cut my hair down to shoulder length: One, I’ve been told so many times that I look more like Lola Carmen when I keep my hair short and wavy, so I’ve stopped trying to fight it. Two, I don’t like having my hair getting in the way of my work; one strand of hair can ruin an arrangement with ganache or fondant if I’m not careful, so keeping it short makes it easier for me to tie it back with a bandanna and a ponytail.
8) I hate straightening my hair.
(Hazel: But you look so nice with long straight hair! Eloisa: No. I hate spending money on my hair. My hairdresser told me that it’s easier to keep it layered anyway.)
9) Most of the time, I live in jeans, T-shirts, and sneakers, because I value my comfort that way. My T-shirts are always plain and bright to contrast with my navy-colored apron; my favorite ones are from Old Navy, which I can get from the surplus store. The jeans are always Levis, because the denim is tough enough to stand the long hours that I spend on my feet. I also discovered Superga sneakers when I used to live in Singapore, which I think are quite comfortable when I have to be on my feet all day.
10) There are only three pairs of heels in my closet: one for corporate functions, one for formal wear, and one just for fun. I don’t wear them all the time, but it’s nice to keep them around just in case.
11) The last time I wore a dress was for the dinner party at Hazel’s house; I bought it on sale from Mango, but I had no idea how uncomfortable it was until it rode up the backs of my thighs while I was sitting down. That wasn’t even the most unpleasant thing that happened that night, either, but at least my hair looked great, and I got to sit next to Hazel’s cousin Sean Alvarez, who just happens to be really, really cute.
12) I sometimes wonder if Sean Alvarez also noticed that my dress was too short.
(Sean: Don’t tell Eloisa I said this, but that dress looked hot on her that night. Pappy: What did you just say about my daughter? Mom: Give the boy a chance, Pappy. He means well. [Eloisa smiles, and nudges Sean affectionately.])
If there’s anything else you want to know about me, don’t forget to leave your questions in the Comments section. Stella and I will do our best to answer them. Thanks!