As you can see, my freelancing work has taken me away from my blogging for quite a long while, and while I hadn’t had time to draft any of my usual entries like Bimonthly Goals (whatever happened to those?), that doesn’t mean that I’ve had a lot of things on my mind. I’ll get around to writing them again once I figure it all out, but for now here’s what I’ve been up to in the last few months:
- Nine Years Away is currently in developmental editing! It’s been cut down from its previous incarnations (down to 38,000 words from a record high of 56,000) but the changes have been for the better. The most that I can say at this point is that it’s the most emotional book I’ve ever written, and there’s a lot of groveling and tension between these characters. I feel like I’m learning how to write all over again, but I’m learning more with every book, and I’m sure you’re going to like this one when it comes out.
- Speaking of 9YA, I’ve started outlining the sequels to this book. Yes, you read this right: sequels. Honestly, I didn’t set out to write a series while I was drafting this, but I found myself getting pulled into this particular world, and I wanted to explore more of what made these characters who they are and how they can be redeemed. So if you see me crowdsourcing story ideas on Twitter, you already know. (In case you’re worried, I’ve already planned three books with a different couple in each book. Watch this space!)
- If you need a solid #romanceclass recommendation from me, I’d pick Chasing Mindy by Carla de Guzman. Those of you who’ve read my blog know that Carla’s one of my auto-buy authors, so I had to snap up her new book right away. It’s got romance, books, a bit of steam, and a whole lot of Paris to enjoy. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with this book as much as I did.
- Today I just pre-ordered Mina V. Esguerra’s What Kind of Day (releases May 31) and Jackie Lau’s Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (May 22), which is a record for me right now considering that I haven’t bought any books lately and I tend to be very picky when I do. Part of this is because I’m more interested now in multicultural romance, especially Asian romance. As much as I love my go-to American authors (bisous, Tessa and Sarina) I’m a little more excited about seeing non-white people falling in love, especially now that I’ve been having more conversations about representation and diversity.
- But the most bongga thing that I can share with you right now on this blog is that I’m going on a cruise from May 14 to 19. That’s right, I’ll be on a boat! While I’m excited about our tours of Okinawa and Taiwan, I’m even more pumped about being at sea for the rest of the trip. You know what that means: more time to read and write! (And possibly go to the gym, but c’mon.)
That’s it for now! I hope I can come back soon with more news and more things to write about on this blog. Cheers!